Monday, September 30, 2013

Review: Shield of Fire by Boone Brux

 Shield of Fire (Bringer and the Bane, #1)

Review:
I'll start with what I liked about this story. It was set in an obviously old world, medieval if you will, but isn't so obvious that I sounded like a pirate in my own head while reading it. (you know, "hoist ye colors" and "arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh" with lots of thou and thee thrown in) I wasn't overwhelmed with figuring out what what was being said that I missed the story, and you'd be surprised how many books set in a similar time can do that to someone. Also, what I would consider almost as important as the world a book is set in, is the secondary characters and this story is full of great ones. From demons to humans to friends, I though the cast around our two hero's was equally entertaining. Ravyn and Rhys as a pair I think are great, they compliment each other nicely, her being the naive but powerful and him being the experienced warrior that can teach her to use her powers. 

However, I do have some issues with Ravyn. I started to right some sentences about her just now and stopped myself. I get that this is set in a time in an ancient time and she grew up in an abbey with nuns, all of it I get. I just wanted more from her. I wanted her to be kick ass when she found out how truly powerful she was, and that she wasn't evil in fact she could OWN evil. There are points where I want to shake her, HARD and just make her do the things she was born to do. I thought knowing something about her past would will her to do more in the story, and I was left wanting a lot more from her.


That being said I really enjoyed this book and I would recommend you giving it a shot because it written beautifully and I can crush on a book guy like Rhys all day long! -My Opinion-Borrow it

No comments:

Post a Comment