Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Review: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1)

Review:
I'll be honest, I bought into the hype.

It really let me down. Now, before I get crushed for not liking this book let me tell you this. There are never really an alien invasion books that blow me away, at least that's what I've come to find out. Dystopian I have loved some, but not usually with aliens. I think that's saying something coming from someone who would rather watch a movie in a galaxy far, far away than anything in the present. The 5th Wave, unfortunately, was much of the same.

Let me be a bit more specific to this book. I liked Cassie as a character. She was clearly tough as nails, she lived through more than one alien attack, and she was just a teenager alone in the world that was slowly disappearing of human life. I felt for her when she told us about all the things that happened to her family and what she trying to do on her road to survival. However, that's where my connection with her ended, in the past. I couldn't connect with her and her thoughts in the present to back up all those feelings about the past. From the very first kill we witness in her eyes at the very beginning, I just wanted more from her. It just felt like either a confusing mash of thoughts coming from her own fears and paranoia or the same story of humanity decimated and another teenage girl to save the day.

I really wanted to like this story but I just didn't. :( -My Opinion-Bypass

No comments:

Post a Comment