Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Wicked New Wednesday Review: The King (The Black Dagger Brotherhood #12) by J.R. Ward

Blurb:
J.R. Ward's # 1 New York Times bestselling Black Dagger Brotherhood continues as a royal bloodline is compromised by a grave threat to the throne.

Long live the King…

After turning his back on the throne for centuries, Wrath, son of Wrath, finally assumed his father’s mantle--with the help of his beloved mate. But the crown sets heavily on his head. As the war with the Lessening Society rages on, and the threat from the Band of Bastards truly hits home, he is forced to make choices that put everything--and everyone--at risk.

Beth Randall thought she knew what she was getting into when she mated the last pure blooded vampire on the planet: An easy ride was not it. But when she decides she wants a child, she’s unprepared for Wrath’s response--or the distance it creates between them.

The question is, will true love win out... or tortured legacy take over?


Review:

If you are reading this review you probably have a general idea of what The Black Dagger Brotherhood series is all about. This is our twelfth rodeo with Mrs. Ward's bad ass, hip-hop loving, sexy as hell vampires and I still look forward to these books every year. Now that almost all of the charcters that we have met over the series are mated, I felt like The King was a reboot of sorts to the series, meaning we went back to the beginning. Beth and Wrath are the center of the plot and how their relationship is working out is what we are looking at throughout the book.

That relationship has hit a brick wall, i.e. baby talk. Wrath of course wants nothing to do with it and Beth is in the baby corner. I thought the conflict it brought to them was impact full and you could understand what both sides were thinking throughout so ultimately this was actually a fluid story to tell, especially since  they have been married for a few years now and all the trouble they've had to deal with outside of their relationship. It was nice to a have a refresher on two characters that I loved so much I read 11 other books following their tryst with romance. Plus, the ending......I won't spoil it but I'm just so happy for both of them!

Now, outside of our main stars it got a little wishy washy for me. I liked seeing the plot about the Bastards and glymera council grow and the social aspects of vampirism shake out and grow. The Shadows Trez and iAm really intrigue me enough to hope they get a book too, including learning about their own race and how that works along the line of Rhevenge's book. However, the story line with Assail and Sola just bores me. No other way to put it, I really have no idea why we even told that story or where we are going so I have no use for it. I also have a problem with the Layla/Xcor situation but I am willing to give that one another shot and see where we are going....I have faith in that story line. Overall I thought it was another great installment that left me wanting more but I do have a feeling we are getting a little stagnant and I hope we can still keep this series going with thunder!- My Opinion- ***** 5 Stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment