Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Review: Halfway to the Grave


Blurb:
Flirting with the Grave...
Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father - the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.

In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner - are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.



Review:

I have never continued to read a book or series purely for the supporting character. It happened in Halfway to the Grave. I know this is a fairly popular series and I'm just joining the fun but Catherine Crawfield wasn't exactly the heroine I expected to find, however, Bones the 200+ year old vampire that comes into the picture I loved. The concept of a half-human/half-vampire young 20 something that has such a repulsion for her date-rape douche of a father would be running around at night luring these nasty creatures to their untimely death was fun. The warring of emotions within Catherine herself between what she felt like as a person and what her mother treated her like was interesting. Her incessant idea that all vampires on the face of this Earth are murdering, raping monsters that needed to irradiated was not cool.

This nagging that went on about the evilness of all vampire throughout the book really dampened my acceptance of her character. I just wanted her to SHUT UP ALREADY and look at what really was happening in front of her. She met 4 or 5 different vampires that weren't crazed blood sucking lunatics and she still couldn't get it through her thick skull! Now, I do love a girl with pizazz that takes something seriously. In fact I loved how driven she was to do some good in this world, so don't think that I hated Cat completely. It just bothered me that I went through over 300 pages of story and she still wasn't getting it.  She was witty, sarcastic and strong which gave her significantly higher scores in likeability than I had predicted was going to happen but she had flaws, which at the end of the day is alright in my book. Her first-employer turned boyfriend Bones, however, didn't have a thing wrong with him!

He was awesome, just plain and simple awesome. He was funny, a little weird, drop dead gorgeous and just had this shining quality of being a hero that didn't want to be one. It was clear that he had respect for people but has also gone through some rough patches that made him understand what struggles others go through and want to help them. I hope we can continue this trend of amazing lead male character throughout this series, but that ending...I don't know about this. I am really looking forward to seeing where everything is going to take Catherine and Bones, I just hope we don't lose the spark that was obvious in this first one. - My Opinion- **** 4 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment