Thursday, May 9, 2013

Review: Passion Potion by Mary Beth Daniels



Passion Potion

Blurb: 
Jet is a Nix, the daughter of an Enchantress who went outside her bloodlines. No one helps a Nix, and even though her father is in deep trouble with Dei Lucrii, a Dark Enchanter who paid her family an extraordinary sum to make a passion potion, Jet has no way to fix the powerful spell that killed her mother.

But someone is watching her. A very handsome someone whose face appears in a pewter bowl her mother always kept close by.

Could the boy be the secret to avoiding the curse of the Nix? Or is he the sort of distraction Jet REALLY can’t afford at a time like this?

Passion Potion is a paranormal new adult romance from the author of the romantic comedy hit Heteroflexibility: Check out Mary Beth Daniels --> Website / Twitter




Review:  

Captivating, intense, funny, sexy, heart warming, surprising, action-packed, unique....I could literally go on for pages with all the words I would use to describe this book!

In Passion Potion, we meet Jet, a flunking Chem major who recently lost her mom (I know, that is nothing like I just described in all those words, just give me a minute!). Whilst driving home with her dad for a permanent Christmas break, she finds out that not only is her mother a witch, but she died trying to make a potion for a man with a very high price tag....and he is coming to collect. After excepting what her mom was, she is determined to get her father out of this. During her adventure she finds out nothing is what it appears to be, including herself. Accompanied by a wise-cracking ferret named Hallow, and a gorgeous man named Caleb, who she feels a remarkable pull towards unlike anything she has ever felt, Jet will kick-ass, take names and defy every notion that she is incapable of succeeding.

For me, Jet was an amazing character to read about. She was someone I could relate to for struggling sometimes but not completely giving up. She works hard and seems to try to do the right thing at last most of the time (who didn't blow off studying for a test once in a while to go drink in college? Come on!). Plus, she is fun! She's not some wicked serious character, hell bent on revenge and ONLY revenge. She has got a hell of a wit to her and even though she is going through some rough stuff, she takes the the potion and her mother's death very seriously, she still maintains a young person's personality, which I thought really made this book shine.

The other part of this story that really made me happy was the world. It's not your average witch story line. In fact there isn't much that is just left up to standard lore. They aren't just "witches", there are levels and bloodlines and types. It's not just "love stories", they have matches and destinies tied to one another. Spells and potions are a whole new term in this book, from physical items and recipes to what they do and how you do them. The world, to me, was complete. Nothing was left for you to assume one thing or another, and each was unique. Including the incantations and spells into the book was interesting too because you could see words and meanings not just reading they X, Y or Z. New twists on old subjects are always fun to read, especially when done as well as Passion Potion.

I hate to interrupt my gloating about this book, but there were also a couple of things I had a problem with. One is kind of my general complaint of, "how do you love someone you know nothing about?" I like Caleb, he sounds gorgeous and proves he is more than just looks by being there for Jet even if it meant exile for him, and he did come to her rescue a few times. However, she still knew very little about him before she jumped right off the match deep end. Again, liked him.....think they will make a great couple, but can I get a little win-and-dine before we start throwing love around?

My other issue has a similar theme as the first but it has more to do with Jet's character than love. When she wiped her memory of all the boys she has been with, I was rather disappointed with her. I felt like it was kind of weak to use magic to pretend like something didn't happen, when it did. I had more faith in Jet than that, and I think she proved through the whole story she was strong willed AND learned from her mistakes. I felt she took the easy way out of something after just going through hell and back to get where she was at that point in the story. It didn't diminish my love for Jet, it just left me with a sour taste during that scene.

I don't want you to think that either of these MINOR complaints made the story any less interesting and entertaining. I had this book half way done within an hour of receiving it because it was that awesome! The world, the characters and the humor pulled me in straight away. I'd also like to mention the pop culture references really made me chuckle throughout the book and made it even more enjoyable. I really hope the author keeps writing about Jet because I cannot wait to hear more from this world! -My Opinion-BUY!!


Get it here:

No comments:

Post a Comment