Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wicked New Wednesday Review: Crewel

Crewel (Crewel World, #1) 
    By Gennifer Albin

Summary:     Enter a tangled world of secrets and intrigue where a girl is in charge of other’s destinies, but not her own.

Sixteen-year-old Adelice Lewys has always been special. When her parents discover her gift—the ability to weave the very fabric of reality—they train her to hide it. For good reason, they don’t want her to become a Spinster — one of the elite, beautiful, and deadly women who determine what people eat, where they live, how many children they have, and even when they die.

Thrust into the opulent Western Coventry, Adelice will be tried, tested and tempted as she navigates the deadly politics at play behind its walls.  Now caught in a web of lies and forbidden romance, she must unravel the sinister truth behind her own unspeakable power.  Her world is hanging by a thread, and Adelice, alone, can decide to save it — or destroy it



Review:  Adelice Lewys was just a normal teenage girl, living in her country called Aras, when at her 16th birthday everything changes. While going through a testing process to become a spinster, a skill her parents have been teaching her how to hide for the majority of her life, she slips and shows that she does have the talents. A spinster is woman that can weave the threads of the their entire world, adding/subtracting, growing/destroying etc, by using a weave. These woman affect everything in Arras from the weather, food rations, babies and even death. From a very early point in her life, Adelice's parents trained her every night to hide her skills from the governing body, called The Guild (<---  notice the capital T), but she was never sure why they did, until the day she slipped and showed her talents causing The Guild to come and take her away from her family to be trained as a spinster. After a horrible attempt at collecting her, that left her father dead and her mother and sister in the run, she is brought to the training center, thrown in a cell and treated horribly.....that is until they take her out of her prison and treated like royalty. She is given the best rooms, allowed to speak like none of her peers towards anyone, and eventually put under the lead spinster for training called the Crewler. This woman has talents beyond any other spinsters, having abilities to harvest the raw materials needed to make everything in Aras. While training, Adelice encounters so many different obstacles to overcome including the horrible treatment of superiors, their plots to alienate her from the rest of the spinster candidates,  and her final straw, trying to maker her marry The Guilds ambassador. Using a sugical procedure they plan to reprogram her brain (they call it remapping) so that they can control what she is thinking and does. After everything that goes on in the coventry, the threats to her sister and the lengths at which The Guild is willing to go Adelice rebels against them and stops all their plans in place when they hurt her sorta-boyfriend Josten, and uses the powers she has to start what she hopes will be a revolution. I'd tell you how she does that, but even I didn't see that coming at the end of this story!
              What I found most interesting about this book was that I started out thinking this was some sort of either made-up world or almost an alternative world. What I never saw coming was a post-appocoliptic type of story kind of story that we didn't get a whole lot of detail about but still it surprised me, in a good way. I do wish we got more information about the Earth that these people left, more on why they left and how they did so, but I can understand that would be a lot of information for an already 400+ page book. It is deffinetley an interesting concept that the author created and I wish I could say more but it would give away way too many spoilers for you! Let's just say I was fascinated for a whole scene between the crewler and Adelice.
            Speaking of Adelice, I had a hard time liking her as a heroine. I flip-slopped between being really annoyed with her and impressed several times throughout the story. Sometimes she came off as whiney and unmotivated, yet other times I just wanted to give her a fist-bump for thinking up something witty or evading The Guilds plans. I know, I know, she is only 16 AND comes from a place where the government shields most citizens from knowing a lot about...well anything really. I still couldn't get myself to believe in her. Add to that the ending of the story the way it went down, I am not sure she has a plan beyond what she did, and that is just scary.
           That being said, I really enjoyed this story. I thought the author brilliantly described the world, the people and the art of weaving. I could picture everything she was telling me as though it was a picture not a book and that is something that most reads can't accomplish. I'm looking forward to finding out not only where Adelice is heading, but more about her romances and the supporting characters stories because we deffinetly did not get enough back ground on many of the other characters and it left me wanting to know more. Since I burrowed this from the library myself, that's what I think you should too!!- My Opinion: Burrow

No comments:

Post a Comment